Be it you want to excel in an organisation or in your business, leadership is very crucial. Many people choose to not excel and remain ordinary mostly because they think that they are not a natural leader. They don’t know how to lead. I was in this position before.
Recently I learnt from Toastmasters about understanding leadership styles. In the learning process, I discovered that everyone can be a great leader because the leadership skills can be practised by taking specific actions.
Generally there are 8 leadership styles that I have learnt:
- Bureaucratic (establishes and enforces rules)
- Authoritative (Focuses on end-goals)
- Innovative (pursues the excellence)
- Pacesetting (focuses on productivity)
- Democratic (relies on consensus decision making)
- Affiliative (emphasises teamwork and harmony)
- Coaching (concentrates on preparing individuals for the future by building skills)
- Altruistic (personalises approaches to meet individualised need of the team)
There are distinctive actions that differentiate the various leadership styles:
You can always learn to build the leaders inside you by taking specific actions. Based on your organisation or projects requirement, you can adopt different leadership style under different circumstances.
Being a leader is not by the name, it’s by the actions you take.