A GPS application on your phone is almost useless if you don’t know where you want to go. That’s almost the same in our life, because life is a journey. If you don’t know what you want in your life, your effort and time are almost wasted.
What you want = the destination
Goals setting and planner = GPS
Goals setting and planner will help you to navigate through the journey and help you to reach your goal. Therefore, it is important to familiarise your goals setting and planning system.
Besides, using the classic way, the pen and paper, our computer and smartphones are now equipped with planning and organiser apps for us to go paperless. It can even sync your data online and use it across different devices. Initially, I found that when there are too many data recorded after a while, it becomes very messy inside the phone.
Through the process of trial and error, I developed a systematic way to organise the data. Here I would like to share with you the system to effectively do goals setting and planning electronically.
Before we get into how to use the apps, I will share with you the general process of goals setting.
- List down all your dreams and what you really want in life
- Filter and prioritise the dream list
- Visualise the journey to achieve the dream
- Breakdown into smaller actions
Here are the tools to organise and plan your goals
1. Note-taking Application
Use a note taking application to list down all your dreams
Remember, you can’t accomplish all your long list of dream at once. You need to filter and prioritise them. Here is basically how to do it.
Categorise those dreams into various timeline:
Short term (1-3 years)
Mid term (4 – 6years)
Long term (7years above)
For example, this is how I label my dream list:
- Weight lose 20kg (S, 2years)
- Buy a new house (L, 8 years)
- Earn monthly income of $50,000 (M, 5years)
- Travel around the world (H, every year 1 destination)
After that, you need to dig deeper into each and every goals one by one to plan the yearly, monthly, weekly and daily actions.
2. Reminder Application
I will use the reminder application to create a yearly list. I will include everything that I want to accomplish for this year based on my dream list that I have created.
Now focus on what you want to achieve this year. Add in extra info in the reminder to plan the course of actions.
- Go for 6km jogging 3 times a week
- 45minutes gym weight training 2 times a week
- Detox diet every weekend
- Every month end, put $850 aside into saving
- Look for 40 new customers each month
- Service existing customers so that they can repeat purchase every month
- Book flight ticket in April
- Book hotel in June
- Target travel date to Japan December
3. Calendar Application
Once you list down the course of actions, you will record down those actions into your calendar. Then set alarm so that your calendar application will send you an alert.
In short, these are the process of goals setting and planning using your smart phones.
- Set your big dreams using note application
- List down your yearly resolutions and goals using reminder
- Plot the actions into your calendar to create your daily schedule
Remember, follow through with ACTION.
One more thing: allocate a slot of time every day to review and plan for your next day.